These Thai Corn Fritters are sweet, salty, spicy, and perfectly crispy. Made with canned sweet corn, this corn fritter recipe can be made anytime and comes together in less than 30 minutes.
I LOVE THAI FOOD. Not only is Thai food flavorful, healthy, and easy to make, but it’s also very vegan friendly. Case in point, these amazing Thai Corn Fritters 🙌🏽.
This post contains affiliate links which means I will earn a commission if you purchase through those links, at no additional cost to you.
The classic Thai Corn Fritter recipe happens to be vegan, although there are some variations out there that call for eggs as a binder. I found this unnecessary as the 50/50 flour and corn starch batter combined with ice-water resulted in the perfectly crispy crunch and thick fritter.
Yeah. Thick Fritters.
Or as I like to call ’em #ThiccFrits.
Now I’ll admit it, doused in sweet chili sauce alongside an ice cold beer, these are not the healthiest snack food. I try to be sensible and serve it over a bed of lettuce (which is perfect for wrapping and dipping with!), but feel free to go straight sauce-to-mouth on this one.
Besides, these Thai Corn Fritters contain sweet corn, carrots, onions, and cilantro – so its basically a salad, right?
Let’s all pretend it’s a salad. Cool.
Best of all, this is a suuuper quick recipe that comes together in 30 minutes with ingredients you already have! And the fact that I use canned sweet corn, means you can make this dish any season, any time.
Side Note: although carrots are not traditional in this recipe, I love the color and texture they add. I just used my handy julienne slicer to get perfect ribbons of carrots, as shown above.
Finally, don’t forget the dipping sauce! sweet chili sauce is traditionally served with these Thai Corn Fritters, and in my book it’s a must.
Sweet Chili Sauce is to Thai Corn Fritters as Blue Cheese Sauce is to Buffalo Wings.
You just can’t beat the flavor combo here.
So weather you’re bringing it to your next potluck, party, or having it just as a snack, these vegan Thai Corn Fritters are the perfect treat to satisfy your sweet, salty, spicy tooth all-in-one.
Try serving it next to my vegan Tofu Pad Ka Prao!
Give this recipe a try, and let us know how it went in the comments below.
- 1 can Sweet Corn Kernels (15 ounce)
- ⅓ cup All-Purpose Flour
- ⅓ cup Corn Starch
- ¼ to ½ cup Ice Cold Water (depending on flour)
- ¼ cup Onions, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. Carrots, finely chopped or shredded
- 2 tbsp. Cilantro, chopped
- 2 tsp. Garlic Paste (or 3-4 cloves of garlic)
- 3-5 Thai Chilis or 1-2 Jalapeños, per your taste
- 1 tsp. Sesame Seeds
- ½ tsp. Baking Powder
- ½ tsp. Salt
- ¼ tsp. Pepper
- Oil, for frying
- Shred and chop carrots, onions, cilantro, garlic, and chilis. Drain your corn, and place all veggies in a large mixing bowl, followed by pepper and sesame seeds. Mix well.
- In the meanwhile, place a few cups of cooking oil into a shallow pan and let it preheat on medium-high heat.
- Sift the flour, corn starch, salt, and baking powder over the veggies, and slowly pour ¼ cup of ice water and mix until you get a pancake like batter; if the batter is too loose, add more corn starch - if the batter is too thick, keep adding water.
- Check the temperature of the oil by dropping in a kernel of corn - if it floats, the oil is hot and ready,
- Take a tablespoon size silverware, or cookie scoop, and gently place batter into the oil to fry; you can fry 4-5 fritters at a time, but be mindful of the oil's temperature
- Cook the fritter for a few minutes before flipping to cook the other side; you will want to cook the fritter for a total of 4-5 minutes, or until it's golden brown.
- Remove the fritter from the oil when done, and place it on a draining rack or paper towel lined plate before serving over a bed of lettuce with extra carrot shreds and cilantro for garnish.
- Serve with sweet chili sauce or Sriracha and enjoy!